Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A cold but busy day at the feeder on Sunday

The wind chills were below zero but it was a sunny day and a busy day at the feeder so your faithful blogger braved the chill taking pictures with no gloves on.
 
Let the debate begin.  I think I have seen Hairy Woodpeckers in the woods.  Hairy Woodpeckers are close cousins of the Downy Woodpecker.  The main difference is size.  A Downy is about 6" and a Hairy is about 9".  The bill width on a Hairy is about the same as its head size.  A Downy's bill is about 1/3 of the head.  And on the tail, a Hairy does not have black or grey spots.  In many of the pictures below, you will see a woodpecker.  By size it's about 6 inches.  But it lacks spots on the tail and I could make a case for the bill being larger.  I'll ask for some help from my Kansas connection (Dean and Jon).  Jon has already weighed in on previous posts telling me he thinks I'm seeing a Hairy Woodpecker.  I'm sure I'm seeing both at different times. 
 
I got quite a few good pictures and including them all. Here we go:
 




 
I got lucky on this next picture.  Look at the peanut in the bill...
 
 
Look at the White-Breasted Nuthatch above the feeder in this next one...
 
 





I've seen American Goldfinch this winter and Sunday I was finally able to capture one.  Look at the colors.  May be making the change now.  I also love "combo" pictures (two different birds at the same time) and I was fortunate to get a few of those.  Enjoy...










"Goldy" has something in its bill...
 



 
 
So you can see it was a productive day on a very cold day but the sun helped and maybe the birds didn't fly off because it was so cold.  I was basically standing next to the fence getting these pictures.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment