Monday, May 11, 2015

Milkweed update

I'm reading that plants do not flower until their second year.  I had hoped my planting last fall and this spring would work out better than my 2013 plantings.  I'm learning patience is key with milkweed.  So, the plants I gave up on (my first plantings) are the ones doing the best.  And some of plants doing the best this year are getting trampled or munched.  My neighbor has also apparently sprayed some weed control on a few of my spots on his way to a field that he manages.  I have about 20 locations I'm watching so hopefully strength in numbers.

Here are some pictures...

These are my strongest plants.  I will pull one for sure to alleviate crowding and will try to transplant.

 
Same plant as of this morning after clearing weeds around it....
 
 
This spot was looking good until something trampled the plants...
 

Notice above how the plants look strong.  One on the right got bent.  Now look at this photo from this morning.  They all seem bent.
 
 
 
I've lettered my plastic knives so I can keep track of progress.
 
Here's a picture from yesterday from another good area...(need to thin out)
 
 
 
I've seen plants at our church and at my neighbor's house (where I got my seeds) and the plants are much bigger than mine but it takes time.  Here is a picture I posted on May 17 of last year.  I am ahead of last year and I'm learning on the job!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment